Parmesan Potato Puffs with Lemon-Chive Crème Fraiche
Makes about 20 puffs
3 medium Idaho potatoes (about 1 1/2 lbs), peeled and cut into large cubes
1 cup (about 1 1/2 oz ) grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
2 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
4 cups canola oil for frying
Lemon-Chive Crème Fraiche
1 cup crème fraiche (or sour cream)
1 tablespoon minced chives, plus more for garnish
grated zest of 1 lemon (try to use a very fine grater, like a Microplane)
1. Place potatoes in a 4-quart stockpot. Cover with cold water and bring to a boil. Boil until potatoes are easily pierced with a fork, about 15 minutes.
2. Drain and let potatoes cool. When potatoes are cool, peel and place in a large bowl. Using a potato ricer, food mill or masher, work potatoes until smooth, making about 2 1/2 -3 cups total.
3. Add eggs, salt and parmesan cheese and baking powder and mix to incorporate.
4. Heat oil in a cast-iron skillet or frying pan over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking, about 360-375°F. Working with about 1 1/2 tablespoons at a time, roll potato mixture into round balls. Working in batches, drop balls into oil and fry approximately 2-3 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy.
5. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Serve with Lemon-Chive Crème Fraiche.
Note: puffs may be kept warm for up to one hour in a 200°F oven.
Lemon-Chive Crème Fraiche:
Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Mix to incorporate. Let rest for an hour.
Recipe © 2010 Adeena Sussman